Wednesday, October 14, 2009

She's Dancing!

Over the course of Camilla's existence, I've had a time with her feedings. This began from birth, when her mouth was actually too small to get a good "latch" while I was nursing her! Even after being taught the "proper way" to get her to latch, her little mouth just couldn't hang on the way they told me "it was supposed to be".

Because of jaundice, we had to supplement formula along with the nursing. I would let her nurse for a few minutes, and the we used a tiny syringe filled with warmed formula and let her suck on my finger, while feeding her the formula. This was supposed to last only until my milk came in...but when that happened, well, it SUCKED!

I was sooo excited when I could tell my milk was coming in, this meant sooo much to me (as Camilla had lost almost a pound after bringing her home from the hospital!). That Friday was ok, things were going GREAT! By the time we went to bed, I was feeling a little too full and becoming sore, but I assumed it was normal? By Saturday morning, I was terribly engorged and couldn't stand having clothing on my body!

No matter what I did....something happened, and no milk would come out! I let Camilla nurse, I pumped, I'd try to squeeze it out...nothing. This continued through Sunday evening, and I couldn't take it anymore! We bought more formula, and I began the arduous journey of trying to "dry up". Trust me, it sounds like I gave up on nursing altogether, but I tried VERY hard for that 48 hours, and may have expelled about an ounce of milk. I couldn't let my child starve! :)

So, with the baby being formula-bound, we've had our share of tummy aches and constipation! I think most of her pain has been gassiness! At the last doctor visit, I explained to the pediatrician that Camilla sounded congested; this was met with, "She has acid reflux.", and we were put on a different formula?

I went home, and began to mix bottles with the new formula, transitioning her from old stuff to new stuff. At first, there was no change....outside of the fact that she would finish 4oz of formula and want more. I called the ped office and asked if I should give her 5oz, and they told me no. Then came the spitting up, which we have NEVER had issues with, until this new formula. We were still burping her 2 to 3 times each feeding. But when she became constipated and constantly gassy, I was finished!

The pain that child would express, passing loud gas, and the crying...we decided to let the ped know that this new formula for reflux (which I know she doesn't have), was causing too many problems, and we wanted to give her the original formula again! So we switched back...and for the past few days, we have still dealt with constipation, but the gas has pretty much gone away. No more tummy aches-YAY!

Saturday night, she finally pooped on her own, but it was still somewhat hard and round. Nothing on Sunday or Monday....but when Wayne dropped her off to me yesterday, I forgot to ask if she'd pooped for him (worrying that another suppository might be in our future), so I sent him a text message.

After her 630pm feeding, when I hadn't heard from Wayne, I decided to try to call him. Camilla had drifted off to sleep on my stomach, and when I raised up to grab my phone, I put my hand on her little bottom to brace her, and SQUISH! And then there was the MOST disgusting smell!!!

She woke up a little, and looked up at me and smiled; she stretched and became fully awake. I thought maybe she'd let one, and it was just stinky, but the squishiness of her diaper made me look.

I have NEVER seen that much poop in a diaper! She pooped SOOO much, that it was literally coming out of the top of the back of the diaper! ICK!!!!!!!!!!! I had planned on giving her a bath already, but that sealed the deal, for sure.

After I cleaned her up, before her bath....I put her in her bouncy seat, so that I could grab towels and shampoo, and get her bath ready....and when I came back into the living room, this is what I saw:


She was "dancing" and cooing; the happiest I've seen her, when left alone, in a while! I couldn't stop smiling, and I took several pictures!

2 comments:

  1. Very glad she and you are feeling much better! Wait until she gets old enough to walk, I'll show her some fly disco dance moves that'll keep her grooving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cute! She got legs like her mama for sure. I am glad that she finally is having better bowel movements too. Cassandra had a hard time with them for the first couple of months when she was born. When she seems to get through with them, WOWZER, she had no problem at all.

    ReplyDelete